One HOT Museum!

Come Visit Us!!!

We're one HOT museum !


We are located at 700 Broadway St. in Thermopolis, WY. Click here to find us.

The Museum Complex consists of two full floors of exhibits in the main Museum building, and five additional structures on the Museum grounds. The annex is open whenever the walkways are clear and dry.

The mission of the Hot Springs County Museum and Cultural Center is to serve as an educational resource for teaching and researching the history of Hot Springs County; to collect, preserve and exhibit artifacts that tell and interpret the stories of the region's people; and to provide cultural activities that enrich the experiences of community and visitors.

Bringing the kiddos? We've got a new SCAVENGER HUNT BINGO! Click here to download, or ask for one when you arrive.

Hours of Operation:
May - September: Monday-Saturday 9AM-5PM
October - April: Tuesday-Saturday 9AM-4PM

Admission:
Adults (18-59): $5.00
Seniors (60+): $3.00
Children (6-17): $3.00
Preschoolers (0-5): Free
County Residents: $1.00
Veterans or Active Duty: Free

Forging Ahead


We're not your grandfather's museum!!

There's a lot happening here, both in the open and behind the scenes. We are working hard to make the museum as up-to-date and interactive as possible. Facebook and Instagram are great ways to stay connected with what's happening at the museum.

Check us out on Facebook!
Check us out on Instagram!

Gift Shop


We have a large variety of books, gifts, and souvenirs. Many of our products come from right here in Wyoming including soaps and lotions made from goat's milk, plus jewelry, keychains, postcards and magnets.

Some of our Exhibits

Click on a picture for more info


Displays of Native American artifacts, including clothing, arrowheads, and pottery. Yellowstone Stagecoach, used to give tours at Yellowstone Park until the early 1900s. Andersonville Cabin, circa 1897.  Disassembled to bring here, then reconstructed inside the museum. Chief Washakie Elkhide Authentic western chuckwagon - for cooking and feeding hungry trailhands!
Train Caboose Old Town Thermopolis, reconstruction of shops, furnished as they were.  We have a dress shop, photo studio, general store, dentist, doctor, print shop, cobbler, and jail. Middleton School Geology Hole in the Wall Bar from the Hole In the Wall Saloon here in Thermopolis
×

Find Us


>Find us on Mapquest, and get directions too!

embed google maps
proxies

About Us


Our History as a Museum

1922

The building at 700 Broadway is constructed and opens for business as the Ford Garage. Over the years it goes through incarnations as a Coca Cola bottling plant (early 1930s to mid 1960s), a bowling alley (in the lower floor of the Coca Cola building), and the Technical College of the Rockies (mid 1960s to 1976), before it finally becomes the home of the Hot Springs County Museum.

April, 1929

Dora McGrath and other early settlers form the Hot Springs County Pioneer Association, to preserve the history of Thermopolis and Hot Springs County. Mrs. McGrath, the widow of one of the first Thermopolis businessmen, is elected in 1931 as the first woman to serve in the Wyoming State Senate. Another early Pioneer Association member is Virginia Bridger Hahn, daughter of famed mountain man Jim Bridger.

1938

Work begins to build a Pioneer Association Museum. Land on Spring View Avenue is leased from the town of Thermopolis. The museum is built by Pioneer Association members, other volunteers from the community, and employees of the Works Progress Administration (a Depression-era project to provide employment for young men out of work).

July 4, 1941

Grand Opening of the Pioneer Association Museum. The Museum is operated entirely by volunteers.

1950's

A small living quarters is built on the back of the Museum building and a caretaker is hired.

1963

Lack of funding threatens the Museum's continued existence, and the Pioneer Association asks the Commissioners of Hot Springs County to take over Museum operations. The Pioneer Association Museum becomes the Hot Springs County Museum.

1967

A fire beginning in the caretaker's quarters severely damages the Museum building and artifacts. Repairs are made and the Museum re-opens, but it becomes obvious that a new building will soon be needed.

1976

The Museum location is chosen as the site of a new elementary school, and the search for a new Museum building begins.

1977

The Hot Springs County Commissioners decide to open a Community Center which will house the Museum as well as providing space for performances, meetings and art shows. The Commissioners purchase the Ford Garage building at 700 Broadway, and the Museum collection is moved.

1978-9

Alterations are done at 700 Broadway. With room to expand, donations increase and the Museum's collection doubles in size.

1979

The Pioneer Association purchases the cherrywood bar from Tom Skinner's Hole-in-the-Wall Saloon and moves it to the new Museum location.

1980

Grand Opening of the new Hot Springs County Museum and Cultural Center, with a board appointed by the County Commissioners, and a professional staff.

1982

Four lots across the street from the Museum building are purchased for Museum expansion. The one-room Middleton Schoolhouse is acquired from the School District and moved to the Museum complex.

1983-5

Buildings to hold exhibits on area agriculture and the petroleum industry are constructed and opened to the public.

1986

The Burlington Northern Railroad donates a caboose, which is placed in the Museum complex complete with a section of tracks.

1996

A one-room cottage, the last of the "Poverty Flats" houses on Amoretti Street, is donated and moved to the Museum complex.

Help Us


How you can help

We are always looking for volunteers who LOVE history and are willing to help us in any way to make the museum a better place. Whether you like to paint, catalog, clean, greet people, set up exhibits, we've got a place for you!

Contact us for more information.

Monetary donations are also welcome.
Please help us preserve unique local history... Please donate generously!!

Contact Us


If you have any questions or need more information, please contact us!
Phone: 307-864-5183
Fax: 307-864-2974
email: hschistory@rtconnect.net

Staff

Our staff has been thoughtfully chosen:

Pete

Pete Coggi

Co-Director

Pete manages most of the educational contacts and groups as well as sharing in the day-to-day operations. He oversees the maintenance program, the technology and the archives.

Barb

Barbara Roach

Co-Director

Barb oversees most of the collection, maintains the vital statistics for people in Hot Spring County, and handles a lot of the calls for research and information.

Racine

Racine Morgan

Curator

Racine is currently working on getting our photo collection digitized as well as managing many of the internal tasks like keeping our gift shop organized, accessioning new items, and taking research calls.

Geneva

Geneva Baird

Facilities

Geneva keeps everything in neat and in tip-top shape, both inside the buildings and on the grounds.

IP Address
Unique Hits

Powered by w3.css